Friday, May 22, 2009
Viewer mail wanted
Watch the video I shot during my time to ask questions at the May 20, 2009 news conference after the VANOC board of directors got together for their latest closed-door meeting to plan the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics and Paralympics.
Please do me a favor. Tell me what you think of my questions and the way they were posed. Tell me what you think of the reaction of VANOC chairman Jack Poole (left), CEO John Furlong, deputy CEO Dave Cobb, vice-president of communications Renee Smith-Valade and executive vice-president of workforce Donna Wilson.
I'd like your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
First some context. The questions related to recent stories that needed updating.
1) Steve Sierros is suing for wrongful dismissal after he was fired by VANOC. The bare bones agenda released to the public included a section of the meeting for an update on legal matters from chief legal officer Ken Bagshaw.
2) Ken Dobell is a longtime associate of B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell, dating back to Campbell's days as Vancouver mayor and Dobell's duties as city manager. Dobell is the VANOC finance committee chairman and a professional lobbyist. One of his clients is Vancouver International Airport Authority, a sponsor of the 2010 Games.
3) The agenda also mentioned an update on venues. B.C. Place Stadium is essentially Vancouver's Olympic stadium. It'll be the site of opening and closing ceremonies and the nightly medals ceremonies. VANOC will be the most important tenant in the 26-year-old dome's history. On Jan. 5, 2007, the roof ripped and collapsed. On April 9, 2009, WorkSafeBC issued an inspection report that said roof control workers were not properly trained, meaning workplace safety cannot be guaranteed.
You should also know the VANOC board meets six times a year behind closed doors and issues no minutes. A news conference traditionally follows.
- ► 2013 (87)
- ► 2012 (114)
- ► 2011 (146)
- ► 2010 (64)
05/17 - 05/24
- 2010 medal minting on
- Viewer mail wanted
- Crash pad yes, flop house no
- 'lympic rings in 'loops in November
- VANOC ignores passing of master architect Erickson...
- May 2007 vs. May 2009
- RCMP's Olympic logistics centre on False Creek fla...
- Timeline in the evolution and secrecy of the 2010 ...
- Behold, the B.C. Place Stadium Olympic cauldron ha...
- ▼ 05/17 - 05/24 (9)